written & photographed by Jane Grueber
To finish off September is Eat More Plant-Based Foods Month, here is a simple recipe for delicious cashew cookies. These can be whipped up in no time flat and ready for the cookie jar, a potluck or as a gift for someone special.
2 cups raw cashews
1 cup rolled oats (gluten free)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Small jar of unsweetened jam
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grind the raw cashews and rolled oats together in a food processor for a few minutes.
- Pour mixture into a large bowl and add the remaining ingredients, except the jam.
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Form 24 round balls and place on a parchment paper lined or lightly oiled cookie sheet.
- With your thumb, form a small well in the center of each ball.
- Place a small amount of jam in each well.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 375 degrees F.
- Allow cookies to cool before removing them from the cookie sheet.