Guest Blog Post by Carolyn Herriot
Grower of IncrEdibles!
Just in case you need a reason to eat your cucumbers, here are just a few to get you excited about this amazing vegetable:
- Fresh cucumbers are made mostly of water and electrolytes, which helps prevent dehydration.
- They contain three different lignans (unique polyphenols) that may reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease and fight different types of cancers.
- Fresh cucumbers have recently been shown to have both antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Cucumbers are a good source of vitamin C, beta-carotene, and manganese.
Cooling Cucumber Salad Recipe
2 lbs cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced (a mandolin works well for this)
2 green onions, chopped small
1 garlic clove, finely minced
1/2 cup cooked basmati rice or quinoa
4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon liquid honey
2 teaspoons dried dill or 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1. Combine the veggies, cooled grain and dressing.
2. Leave in the refrigerator to marinte for about 2 hours before serving.
3. This refreshing salad will keep refrigerated for up to 3 days.